If you're in the market to buy used servers, chances are good that you've run into IT hardware resellers that describe their products as "refurbished." If you're wondering what makes a server refurbished, you aren't alone. Most IT professionals are familiar with two different conditions of IT hardware: new and used. If a server is new, it's never been used. If a server is considered used, you know that another data center owned it before you. Adding the word refurbished can muddy the waters, making it unclear as to exactly what you're buying.
Today, we will clear up the question of what makes a server refurbished.
In order for a server to be considered refurbished, the following must be true:
- The server has been owned by at least one data center prior to yours; and
- The server must have been returned to a like-new condition before you bought it.
Sounds simple! It is, but there's more to it than that. Here are specifics that you can count on if you purchase a refurbished server from a reputable IT hardware reseller:
- Refurbished servers are subjected to comprehensive testing. Reputable IT hardware resellers are careful to test each component to ensure reliability. If a component fails during the testing process, the technician determines whether or not it can be repaired and if it's cost-effective to do so. At World Data Products, we have a well-managed ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System. Components that do not meet our quality standard are scrapped.
- Refurbished servers are cleaned. With refurbished servers you don't have to worry about the dust bunnies that might be living inside the case of the server. Used servers are taken apart and carefully cleaned. The outside is cleaned and painted if required.
- Refurbished servers are reset to original equipment manufacturer OEM factory settings. After a server is cleaned up, tested, and received any necessary cosmetic touch ups, the device is reset to factory settings. What does that mean for you? Well, that refurbished server "thinks" and acts just like a new server--only significantly less expensive.
- Refurbished IT hardware is backed by a warranty. It's no secret that when you buy a refurbished server, you are buying a product that was once owned by someone else. The difference between buying used and refurbished gear is that with refurbished equipment, the IT hardware reseller that refurbished the gear stands behind their work with a warranty to protech you against any future issues. They believe in their work and will do what they can to make it right in the event that you have issues with your purchase. (Chances are good that you won't have any issues at all, but you know you're covered if you do.)
Remember the golden rule of buying refurbished IT hardware: While all refurbished servers were once owned by someone else (a.k.a. "used"), all used servers are not refurbished. When your IT department buys a refurbished server, you're getting the best of both worlds: the low prices of the "used" server market plus the quality and reliability of buying new.
If your IT department already takes advantage of the savings by choosing previously owned equipment, would you rather fill your data center’s server rack with cheap used servers, or quality refurbished servers offered at a deep discount?
World Data Products sells used Dell servers that have been cleaned in our refurbishment process, tested, and guaranteed with a warranty. When it comes time to refresh your rack, buy a server from a trusted industry leader. We have deep inventory of blade servers, tower servers, and rack mount servers. In addition to Dell servers, we also buy and sell HP, IBM, and Cisco UCS.
Why trust World Data Products for refurbished servers and networking equipment? Take a look at this video describing our refurbishment process here.
Questions? Call 888-210-7636 or contact one of our IT Hardware Specialists today for a free consultation.