Learn about Worldtech™, our affordable third party maintenance alternative to Cisco Smart Net Total Care. World Data Products offers next business day replacement options for networking equipment, repair services and more! Click on the link below to see the video.
If you're in the market to buy used servers, chances are good that you've run into IT hardware resellers that describe their products as "refurbished." If you're wondering what makes a server refurbished, you aren't alone. Most IT professionals are familiar with two different conditions of IT hardware: new and used. If a server is new, it's never been used. If a server is considered used, you know that another data center owned it before you. Adding the word refurbished can muddy the waters, making it unclear as to exactly what you're buying.
Today, we will clear up the question of what makes a server refurbished.
In order for a server to be considered refurbished, the following must be true:
Sounds simple! It is, but there's more to it than that. Here are specifics that you can count on if you purchase a refurbished server from a reputable IT hardware reseller:
- The server has been owned by at least one data center prior to yours; and
- The server must have been returned to a like-new condition before you bought it.
- Refurbished servers are subjected to comprehensive testing. Reputable IT hardware resellers are careful to test each component to ensure reliability. If a component fails during the testing process, the technician determines whether or not it can be repaired and if it's cost-effective to do so. At World Data Products, we have a well-managed ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System. Components that do not meet our quality standard are scrapped.
- Refurbished servers are cleaned. With refurbished servers you don't have to worry about the dust bunnies that might be living inside the case of the server. Used servers are taken apart and carefully cleaned. The outside is cleaned and painted if required.
- Refurbished servers are reset to original equipment manufacturer OEM factory settings. After a server is cleaned up, tested, and received any necessary cosmetic touch ups, the device is reset to factory settings. What does that mean for you? Well, that refurbished server "thinks" and acts just like a new server--only significantly less expensive.
- Refurbished IT hardware is backed by a warranty. It's no secret that when you buy a refurbished server, you are buying a product that was once owned by someone else. The difference between buying used and refurbished gear is that with refurbished equipment, the IT hardware reseller that refurbished the gear stands behind their work with a warranty to protech you against any future issues. They believe in their work and will do what they can to make it right in the event that you have issues with your purchase. (Chances are good that you won't have any issues at all, but you know you're covered if you do.)
Remember the golden rule of buying refurbished IT hardware: While all refurbished servers were once owned by someone else (a.k.a. "used"), all used servers are not refurbished. When your IT department buys a refurbished server, you're getting the best of both worlds: the low prices of the "used" server market plus the quality and reliability of buying new.
If your IT department already takes advantage of the savings by choosing previously owned equipment, would you rather fill your data center’s server rack with cheap used servers, or quality refurbished servers offered at a deep discount?
World Data Products sells used Dell servers that have been cleaned in our refurbishment process, tested, and guaranteed with a warranty. When it comes time to refresh your rack, buy a server from a trusted industry leader. We have deep inventory of blade servers, tower servers, and rack mount servers. In addition to Dell servers, we also buy and sell HP, IBM, and Cisco UCS.
Why trust World Data Products for refurbished servers and networking equipment? Take a look at this video describing our refurbishment process here.
Questions? Call 888-210-7636 or contact one of our IT Hardware Specialists today for a free consultation.
As IT expenditures continue to grow, swelling up to 6% of revenue for many corporate clients, technology decision makers are looking for options to maximize their budgets. For 30 years, many of these buyers have looked to World Data Products, Inc. for help through multiple budget friendly options such as: refurbished IT hardware, asset disposition services, and third party maintenance solutions.
The latest trend in IT cost reduction for the savvy IT decision maker is the procurement of networking optics, from sources other than the manufacturers and their channel partners. As described by Gartner, a leading IT consulting firm, in a report titled “How to Avoid the Biggest Rip-Off in Networking” (August 2017)
"Networking transceivers make up 10%-15% of enterprises’ networking capital spending, and most suppliers excessively overcharge."
Imagine the last time you bought a new television from your local big-box electronics store. You had done your due-diligence in advance and were confident you were getting a great deal. But at checkout, you realized that you had a cart full of HDMI cables priced at $60-$80 each. Some buyers will continue the purchase out of convenience or feeling of obligation, but others look elsewhere to buy those cables for a price that they are worth, $10-$15 at most. This high profit add-on technique is not limited to this example – it happens every day in the corporate world, to IT buyers at small businesses and large enterprises. The OEMs simply overcharge for a product that has a very low cost to manufacture.
Nearly all of the large network hardware OEMs outsource the manufacturing of optical transceivers (GBICs, SFPs, etc.) to others and merely rebrand them, before they add a mark-up of several hundred percent. By bypassing the OEM and partnering with manufacturers like these, WDPI is able to provide the same quality product at a fraction of the price.
In its report, Gartner mentions World Data Products as a supplier for both OEM branded and third party optics. World Data Products can save customers up to 80%-90% vs. the OEM list price. WDPI’s optics are fully tested in a proof-of-concept lab, 100% compatible, and include an advance replacement lifetime warranty.
According to the report, “We've observed that network OEMs and their channels use aggressive sales tactics to scare enterprises away from third-party optics, claiming it is ‘illegal’ to use them, or that it will ‘void the warranty.’ This is simply not true.” So whether you are an average Joe or Jane buying a new television, or an IT Director for a large corporate enterprise, remember that in addition to a responsibility to your bottom line, you have options. Look to World Data Products for help.
See our Optics Contact Page, "Getting the best deal on Networking Optics"
So many Cisco switch options to choose from!
World Data Products has almost 400 models of new & refurbished Cisco switches, line cards, power supplies, modules, and parts available for sale on our website. Need help deciding which Cisco switch configuration is right for your networking application? Chat with us online or call one of our Cisco Networking Specialists at 888-210-7636. We are also extremely competitive when it comes to IT Asset Disposition for used Cisco switches, firewalls, and other networking products from Dell, HP, UCS, IBM, and Arista Networks.
Shop our current Cisco Switch inventory here!
Need more information on a refurbished Cisco router or firewall? See our Cisco router page here for models like the Cisco 2901. We also sell Cisco cables, optics, and more.
World Data Products is your test/repair resource for cards and components in the Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers. Our repair department has a Cisco ASR9010 router chassis as a platform to test and repair line cards, power supplies, and fans. We work on Trident-based, Typhoon-based, and Tomahawk-based line cards. Need help identifying which type of Ethernet line card you have? Check this page on Cisco’s support website or contact us with questions.
Here is a small sampling of Cisco ASR 9000 feature cards and power supplies that we troubleshoot and repair:
Cisco Part Number Description PWR-6KW-AC-V3 AC power supply 6000W PWR-3KW-AC-V2 AC power supply 3000W ASR9010-FAN FAN TRAY 2 per Chassis ASR-9010-FAN V2 FAN TRAY 2 per Chassis A9K-MOD160-SE Mod160 Modular Line Card A9K-40GE-SE 40-Port GE Line Card
We work on all types of line cards and modules, to discuss service or maintenance for your Cisco ASR 9000 networking equipment, contact our Parts and Repair Department at 1-888-210-7636 or complete our online request form here.
Data Center Services
World Data Products is a single-source solution provider with data destruction, erasure, and migration services. On-site or off-site, our data center services will help you comply with your security requirements, environmental policy, or simply help get rid of surplus or decommissioned hardware.
Our comprehensive data services include:
- Erasure of tapes and hard drives for recycling or reuse
- Total data eradication by volser for tape cartridges
- Data destruction & shredding for traditional HDD and solid state drives (SSD)
- Data migration to other formats
- Secure transportation and relocation
- Packing and crating
- Site decommissioning
- Lock boxes for secure off-site destruction
- E-waste recycling and disposal for end of life servers and networking hardware
Moving to the cloud?
We will also provide certificates of recycling or a certificate of data eradication for your records. Is your department finishing a virtualization project? Moving applications the cloud? Let us know how we can help solve your hardware or transportation logistics challenges.
Call 888-210-7636 or contact a Data Services Specialist to discuss your project today.
There are two types of IT hardware resellers: original equipment manufacturer (OEM) partner organizations and independent hardware resellers such as World Data Products.
Chances are good that you have done business with both types of vendors. Here is a comparison of the two business models, and why we have leaned towards the advantages of being an independent IT hardware provider.
OEM Partner Resellers:
- Has a signed agreement with the manufacturer that states that they will offer the OEM’s line of products
- May have limitations regarding other product lines or channels in which they may sell
- Is likely authorized to sell OEM warranties and maintenance
- Has the rights to use logos and other branding in their marketing
- May or may not offer refurbished products
- Probably does not buy used server or network hardware directly from end users
OEM Partner Summary: Partner resellers are ideal for organizations that are interested in buying new equipment and typically refresh areas of their data center every three years.
Independent IT Hardware Resellers:
- Are independent of manufacturers and have no limitations on what they can sell
- Offer third-party maintenance agreements to service or repair any brand of data center hardware
- Will find the best possible new or refurbished hardware solutions for your company's requirements rather than being confined to a specific manufacturer's restrictions
- Can stock or source legacy or "end of life" servers, networking items, and parts
- Do not sell OEM maintenance and support but offer third party maintenance options at a fraction of the cost of OEM maintenance programs
- Typically offer buyback programs to purchase used servers, storage, and networking gear directly from the end users
- May offer additional data center services such as on-site or off-site data erasure or destruction, data migration, e-waste recycling, and other solutions
- Sell server upgrades and custom configurations
- Companies that buy and sell used equipment have short lead times. Need something fast? Our extensive inventory enables us to receive orders and sell server configurations that can ship same day.
Independent Reseller Summary: Independent hardware resellers are a good fit for organizations that seek to fully leverage their IT budget, or are looking for single-source solution providers that provide an array of value-added services.
There are benefits and limitations with both types of IT resellers. Many organizations rely on both depending on the application. The key lies in choosing a partner that will best meet your company's needs for the project at hand and the budget available.
Questions? Call 888-210-7636 or contact one of our IT Hardware Specialists today for a free consultation.
Looking for ways to lower your Cisco networking maintenance costs? Many IT departments are doing the same thing. Network hardware maintenance can take a big bite out of the annual IT budget. Plus, the network is mission critical so most companies require some type of maintenance plan. Here are 5 ways to reduce the cost of maintenance without sacrificing quality:
Shop Around: Getting quotes from multiple potential vendors is one of the easiest ways to cut costs out of your IT budget. By shopping around, you can get a better sense of what a reasonable price is for the level of coverage you need. As with anything, if a particular estimate seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Consider a third party maintenance provider: Third party maintenance providers can offer maintenance plans that provide similar coverage for a fraction of the price. Plus, a third party provider has greater flexibility to tailor a plan to your needs. Concerned about quality? It depends on the organization. However, sometimes the manufacturer uses the same third-party provider to handle some of their maintenance coverage.
Ask for the best possible deal: Rates are negotiable! Always ask, "Is this your best price?"
Avoid automatic renewal clauses: As you read your contract, keep an eye out for auto-renewal clauses and do your best to avoid them. Automatic contract renewals might be positioned as a benefit for you (no lapse in coverage) but without an end date in sight, you may lose the opportunity to ask for better pricing or better coverage.
Consider locking in your annual rate for three to five years: One of the best ways to save money on your maintenance program is to negotiate a set rate for the next three to five years. This will eliminate the need to renegotiate each year and will make budget planning simpler. But be sure to arrange for the opportunity to negotiate a new contract at the end of the term of the agreement.
Networking equipment maintenance is often an important necessity, but there are ways to lower your costs. Shop around, and you're on your way to significant cost savings!
World Data Products offers basic networking maintenance services as well as custom-designed options to meet your organization's needs. Our Worldtech™ programs utilize certified technicians to deliver fast resolution to keep everything running smoothly, or repaired/replaced as quickly as possible when that is necessary.
Questions? Call 888-210-7636 or contact one of our Networking Maintenance Specialists today for a free consultation.
Did you know that there's an active market for your used Cisco networking hardware? It's true. You can sell that stack of surplus or decommissioned Cisco routers, switches, and firewalls to World Data Products!
IT Asset Disposition (ITAD) has never been easier. Plus, if the hardware still has value, your company can make money with our networking hardware buyback program.
Update 2017 - We are currently seeing a lot of buying and selling activity for the following used Cisco Catalyst switch models: 2960 and 2960x, 3560, C3560x, C3750g, the 3750 and the newer 3850. 2900 series routers, and Adaptive Security Appliance firewalls such as the ASA 5505 and ASA 5506 are popular as well.
Ready to sell your surplus or used Cisco equipment today? Here's what you need to do:
- Make a list of all the networking equipment you want to sell. The more detailed your list is with part numbers, the faster we can respond with an accurate offer. Include the entire Cisco part number when possible, for example: WS-C2960X-48FPS-L
- Fill out our contact form to sell hardware and a Cisco Networking Specialist will get in touch with you to review your list.
It's that simple. Whether the package is a few switches or an entire data center, World Data Products will make the process of selling your hardware a breeze!
Call 888-210-7636 or use the form to contact a Cisco Networking Specialist today!
It’s no secret that Cisco Smart Net Total Care is expensive, but IT departments continue to buy Smart Net coverage because it works and provides peace of mind. What if you could obtain a similar maintenance program complete with options for next business day replacement, but for a lot less money?
It's like this: Network maintenance programs are a lot like car insurance. You need to have it but only use it once in a while. Like car insurance, you can pay a range for the same coverage depending on which provider you choose. The good news is that Cisco is great networking equipment and very reliable. The other good news is that it's often mission critical and there has to be a plan that includes a spare on the shelf or in the rack, or at least next business day replacement.
Imagine paying 50% less for the same network hardware coverage and working with a trusted company that has been in the IT hardware industry for thirty years and has thousands of networking items in stock. The Worldtech™ maintenance program from World Data Products provides the peace of mind you need, at a price that is well under the OEM, and very competitive when compared to other third party maintenance providers.
Here is how a third party network maintenance program can be a benefit to your department:
Third party network maintenance offers considerable savings versus OEM plans. The biggest reason that companies use third party maintenance is because of the significant savings. Who wouldn't be interested in a plan that offers most of the coverage options that the OEM offers, but at half of the cost?
Third party plans can cover legacy products no longer supported by the OEM. IT hardware manufacturers encourage or require upgrading to their newest equipment on a schedule, roughly every three years. As a result, it can be difficult to maintain support for legacy hardware that is working just fine. Third party maintenance providers are much more flexible with the hardware that can be covered, this extends the life and return on investment for gear that is stable and working.
Third party maintenance works well side-by-side with OEM program. Maintenance plans are not an “all or nothing” proposition. You can keep your OEM coverage on some of your networking gear and have third party coverage on other components. Whatever makes the most sense for your department and your budget.
Excited to learn what the Worldtech™ third party network maintenance program can do for your company? Request a complimentary network maintenance cost analysis or call 1-888-210-7636 to speak with one of our Worldtech™ specialists today.