Learn about Worldtech™, our affordable third party maintenance alternative to Cisco Smart Net Total Care. World Data Products offers next business day replacement options for networking equipment, repair services and more! Click on the link below to see the video.
World Data Products
If you're in the market to buy used servers, chances are good that you've run into IT hardware resellers that describe their products as "refurbished." If you're wondering what makes a server refurbished, you aren't alone. Most IT professionals are familiar with two different conditions of IT hardware: new and used. If a server is new, it's never been used. If a server is considered used, you know that another data center owned it before you. Adding the word refurbished can muddy the waters, making it unclear as to exactly what you're buying.
Today, we will clear up the question of what makes a server refurbished.
In order for a server to be considered refurbished, the following must be true:
Sounds simple! It is, but there's more to it than that. Here are specifics that you can count on if you purchase a refurbished server from a reputable IT hardware reseller:
- The server has been owned by at least one data center prior to yours; and
- The server must have been returned to a like-new condition before you bought it.
- Refurbished servers are subjected to comprehensive testing. Reputable IT hardware resellers are careful to test each component to ensure reliability. If a component fails during the testing process, the technician determines whether or not it can be repaired and if it's cost-effective to do so. At World Data Products, we have a well-managed ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System. Components that do not meet our quality standard are scrapped.
- Refurbished servers are cleaned. With refurbished servers you don't have to worry about the dust bunnies that might be living inside the case of the server. Used servers are taken apart and carefully cleaned. The outside is cleaned and painted if required.
- Refurbished servers are reset to original equipment manufacturer OEM factory settings. After a server is cleaned up, tested, and received any necessary cosmetic touch ups, the device is reset to factory settings. What does that mean for you? Well, that refurbished server "thinks" and acts just like a new server--only significantly less expensive.
- Refurbished IT hardware is backed by a warranty. It's no secret that when you buy a refurbished server, you are buying a product that was once owned by someone else. The difference between buying used and refurbished gear is that with refurbished equipment, the IT hardware reseller that refurbished the gear stands behind their work with a warranty to protech you against any future issues. They believe in their work and will do what they can to make it right in the event that you have issues with your purchase. (Chances are good that you won't have any issues at all, but you know you're covered if you do.)
Remember the golden rule of buying refurbished IT hardware: While all refurbished servers were once owned by someone else (a.k.a. "used"), all used servers are not refurbished. When your IT department buys a refurbished server, you're getting the best of both worlds: the low prices of the "used" server market plus the quality and reliability of buying new.
If your IT department already takes advantage of the savings by choosing previously owned equipment, would you rather fill your data center’s server rack with cheap used servers, or quality refurbished servers offered at a deep discount?
World Data Products sells used Dell servers that have been cleaned in our refurbishment process, tested, and guaranteed with a warranty. When it comes time to refresh your rack, buy a server from a trusted industry leader. We have deep inventory of blade servers, tower servers, and rack mount servers. In addition to Dell servers, we also buy and sell HP, IBM, and Cisco UCS.
Why trust World Data Products for refurbished servers and networking equipment? Take a look at this video describing our refurbishment process here.
Questions? Call 888-210-7636 or contact one of our IT Hardware Specialists today for a free consultation.
As IT expenditures continue to grow, swelling up to 6% of revenue for many corporate clients, technology decision makers are looking for options to maximize their budgets. For 30 years, many of these buyers have looked to World Data Products, Inc. for help through multiple budget friendly options such as: refurbished IT hardware, asset disposition services, and third party maintenance solutions.
The latest trend in IT cost reduction for the savvy IT decision maker is the procurement of networking optics, from sources other than the manufacturers and their channel partners. As described by Gartner, a leading IT consulting firm, in a report titled “How to Avoid the Biggest Rip-Off in Networking” (August 2017)
"Networking transceivers make up 10%-15% of enterprises’ networking capital spending, and most suppliers excessively overcharge."
Imagine the last time you bought a new television from your local big-box electronics store. You had done your due-diligence in advance and were confident you were getting a great deal. But at checkout, you realized that you had a cart full of HDMI cables priced at $60-$80 each. Some buyers will continue the purchase out of convenience or feeling of obligation, but others look elsewhere to buy those cables for a price that they are worth, $10-$15 at most. This high profit add-on technique is not limited to this example – it happens every day in the corporate world, to IT buyers at small businesses and large enterprises. The OEMs simply overcharge for a product that has a very low cost to manufacture.
Nearly all of the large network hardware OEMs outsource the manufacturing of optical transceivers (GBICs, SFPs, etc.) to others and merely rebrand them, before they add a mark-up of several hundred percent. By bypassing the OEM and partnering with manufacturers like these, WDPI is able to provide the same quality product at a fraction of the price.
In its report, Gartner mentions World Data Products as a supplier for both OEM branded and third party optics. World Data Products can save customers up to 80%-90% vs. the OEM list price. WDPI’s optics are fully tested in a proof-of-concept lab, 100% compatible, and include an advance replacement lifetime warranty.
According to the report, “We've observed that network OEMs and their channels use aggressive sales tactics to scare enterprises away from third-party optics, claiming it is ‘illegal’ to use them, or that it will ‘void the warranty.’ This is simply not true.” So whether you are an average Joe or Jane buying a new television, or an IT Director for a large corporate enterprise, remember that in addition to a responsibility to your bottom line, you have options. Look to World Data Products for help.
See our Optics Contact Page, "Getting the best deal on Networking Optics"
Are you looking to buy new or used Dell servers? We can help! Dell Servers that have been refurbished by World Data Products perform like new servers, but cost a fraction of the price. That's good value!
For companies that buy used or refurb servers, here are some reasons to consider refurbished Dell servers from World Data Products:
- World Data Products is an authorized Dell partner and we are experts when it comes to Dell servers & networking equipment. Our technicians build custom configurations, perform service and maintenance, and troubleshoot as needed.
- We have a large inventory of refurbished server components and replacement parts. That means that a server can be ordered, configured, and shipped same day, or next day depending on the time of the order. How is that for lead time?
- Refurbished Dell servers are tested and include a warranty. Every Dell server that ships from our facility has been through multiple tests and is confirmed to be in working order.
- Refurbished models available include all form factors of rack mount, tower, and blade servers from the 1U PowerEdge R210 or R630, to the 2U PowerEdge R730 and the 4U R930. We will configure your server with the processors, drives, memory, and network adapters that fit your requirements.
Get a quote on one of these refurbished Dell SFF or LFF server models:
PowerEdge R410 2-socket, 1U rack server PowerEdge R420 2-socket, 1U rack server PowerEdge R510 2-socket, 2U rack-mount server PowerEdge R520 2-socket, 2U rack-mount server PowerEdge R610 2-socket, 1U rack server PowerEdge R620 2-socket, 1U rack server PowerEdge R630 2-socket, 1U rack server PowerEdge R710 2-socket, 2U rack server PowerEdge R720 2-socket, 2U rack server PowerEdge R720XD 2-socket, 2U rack server PowerEdge R730 2-socket, 2U rack server PowerEdge R930 4-socket, 4U rack server
So many Cisco switch options to choose from!
World Data Products has almost 400 models of new & refurbished Cisco switches, line cards, power supplies, modules, and parts available for sale on our website. Need help deciding which Cisco switch configuration is right for your networking application? Chat with us online or call one of our Cisco Networking Specialists at 888-210-7636. We are also extremely competitive when it comes to IT Asset Disposition for used Cisco switches, firewalls, and other networking products from Dell, HP, UCS, IBM, and Arista Networks.
Shop our current Cisco Switch inventory here!
Need more information on a refurbished Cisco router or firewall? See our Cisco router page here for models like the Cisco 2901. We also sell Cisco cables, optics, and more.
With the growing emphasis on reducing an organization's carbon footprint, today's IT professionals are responsible for finding ways to dispose of used servers in ways that are more friendly to the environment.
Often, a data center that needs to get rid of servers no longer in use, will contact a company that specializes in ITAD (IT Asset Disposition). Recycling a decommissioned server generally involves parting out the hardware to components including the drives, memory, fans, power supplies, and network adapter cards that can be used again. If the chassis or board is too old for resale, it is recycled responsibly with a qualified electronics recycling vendor.
Is there way to recycle used servers for free? Yes!
World Data Products has a used server buyback program. We buy packages of server and networking equipment from data centers. If the list of hardware has enough value left in the components, we coordinate and pay for shipping to our facility. If the hardware is too old and would cost more to ship than the components are worth, we will recommend local disposal with an electronics recycling firm. Brands we look for include used Dell, HP, IBM, and Cisco UCS servers.
Here's how it works:
- Create a list of the server hardware you wish to recycle. Be as specific as possible, how many, which kind, and capacity of drives? How many and which processors? How much memory is there in each server, power supplies etc.?
- Assess your company's data security policy. Will your company be responsible for data destruction, or will World Data Products need to provide data/media destruction or shredding services? We perform a thorough audit of the equipment, resetting the configuration back to its original factory settings. All drives are tested and formatted. Additional erasure or destruction requirements must be agreed on in advance.
- Get the specifics on shipping. World Data Products arranges and pays for the shipping. We can even coordinate packing when necessary. Is the data center on the 12th floor with no access to packing materials? If there is enough value in the equipment, we can get it done.
- Send us your list. Upload your list in one of these document or spreadsheet formats (xlsx, docx, txt, rtf), or just paste the text into our "sell servers" contact form.
Recycling is a great way to keep old hardware out of the landfills. Selling decommissioned equipment to an ITAD professional enables your department to recycle server equipment and potentially make money at the same time.
World Data Products buys used servers, networking equipment, and storage from many brands including Cisco, Dell, HP, UCS, IBM, Super Micro, EMC, NetApp and others. We also buy and sell IP phones, wireless access points and controllers.
Questions? Call 888-210-7636 or contact one of our IT Hardware Specialists today for a free consultation.
What if someone offered you the choice between a refurbished Cisco router and a used Cisco router? The routers are the exact same model with the exact same configuration. This makes the routers virtually identical on paper. The only difference between them is that one of the routers is sold “used” or "as is". The other router is sold as “refurbished.” Why should you choose one router over the other?
Is a used router the same thing as a refurbished router? No. The terms “used” and “refurbished” are often used interchangeably but aren't necessarily the same thing. With some sellers calling their networking equipment refurbished without a documented refurbishment process, it’s no wonder that buyers are confused when there is no way to verify the quality of the item.
While refurbished routers are pre-owned (aka: used), not all used routers are refurbished. At World Data Products, our ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System ensures that refurbished Cisco routers undergo rigorous testing, cleaning, and repair when needed to make them the superior, dependable choice every time. Also, refurbished routers from a trusted reseller will be tested and returned to the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) factory specifications. Used gear? Probably not. Our refurbished routers will come with a warranty and performance guarantee, and, the router is more likely to be eligible for Cisco Smart Net Total Care or third party maintenance. If you think you will get this quality guaranty with any used router, think again.
While used and refurbished routers often look the same at first glance, only refurbished routers will provide a like-new product that you can count on. To learn more about how refurbished Cisco routers, switches, and other networking equipment can benefit your organization, call 888-210-7636 or contact one of our IT Hardware Specialists today for a free consultation today.
Buy refurbished Cisco routers in our online store here.
World Data Products is your test/repair resource for cards and components in the Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers. Our repair department has a Cisco ASR9010 router chassis as a platform to test and repair line cards, power supplies, and fans. We work on Trident-based, Typhoon-based, and Tomahawk-based line cards. Need help identifying which type of Ethernet line card you have? Check this page on Cisco’s support website or contact us with questions.
Here is a small sampling of Cisco ASR 9000 feature cards and power supplies that we troubleshoot and repair:
Cisco Part Number Description PWR-6KW-AC-V3 AC power supply 6000W PWR-3KW-AC-V2 AC power supply 3000W ASR9010-FAN FAN TRAY 2 per Chassis ASR-9010-FAN V2 FAN TRAY 2 per Chassis A9K-MOD160-SE Mod160 Modular Line Card A9K-40GE-SE 40-Port GE Line Card
We work on all types of line cards and modules, to discuss service or maintenance for your Cisco ASR 9000 networking equipment, contact our Parts and Repair Department at 1-888-210-7636 or complete our online request form here.
Did you know that World Data Products has a comprehensive selection of new and refurbished branded and compatible optics for Cisco, Dell, HP, IBM, Juniper, and other networking brands? Often included in data center buyback packages, we have a large inventory of optics that represent some of the best bargains in refurbished IT hardware. As with all of our hardware, we inspect all optics to verify that they are genuine. And, our quality control process ensures that all refurbished SFPs and GBICs have passed a loopback test.
Our transceiver and cable inventory includes SFP, SFP+, GBIC, single mode, multi-mode, and an array of enterprise-class networking adapters and modules.
From your data center’s core switches and routers out to the edge, we have you covered with modules for 1G, 10G, 40G, or 100 Gigabit deployments. And, all of our fiber and copper transceivers have a lifetime guarantee.
Refurbished and OEM-compatible optical transceivers are an excellent value and one of the easiest ways to save your IT department thousands of dollars.
Not sure which model you need? Use our Request For Quote Form or give one of our Networking Experts a call at 888-210-7636.
Data Center Services
World Data Products is a single-source solution provider with data destruction, erasure, and migration services. On-site or off-site, our data center services will help you comply with your security requirements, environmental policy, or simply help get rid of surplus or decommissioned hardware.
Our comprehensive data services include:
- Erasure of tapes and hard drives for recycling or reuse
- Total data eradication by volser for tape cartridges
- Data destruction & shredding for traditional HDD and solid state drives (SSD)
- Data migration to other formats
- Secure transportation and relocation
- Packing and crating
- Site decommissioning
- Lock boxes for secure off-site destruction
- E-waste recycling and disposal for end of life servers and networking hardware
Moving to the cloud?
We will also provide certificates of recycling or a certificate of data eradication for your records. Is your department finishing a virtualization project? Moving applications the cloud? Let us know how we can help solve your hardware or transportation logistics challenges.
Call 888-210-7636 or contact a Data Services Specialist to discuss your project today.